All corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs) that do business in Nebraska are required to file biennial occupation tax reports. For corporations, these reports are due on March 1 of each even-numbered year (becoming delinquent April 15). For LLCs, these reports are due on April 1 of each odd-numbered year. Therefore, corporations are currently due March 1, 2014 and LLCs will be due next year on April 15, 2015.

Failure to file the required occupation tax reports and pay any associated fees may lead to the administrative dissolution of the corporation or revocation of the authority to operate in Nebraska. Consequences of administrative dissolution are as follows:

  1. The only allowable business that can be conducted must be related to the wind up and liquidation of the business and its affairs.
  2. Possible loss of related limited liability status and name(s).
  3. Cancellation of good standing status and inability to obtain a certificate of good standing (which may impact lender financing opportunities).

Corporations who wish to stay in business after an administrative dissolution has occurred must file and pay for a reinstatement application and pay all delinquent occupation taxes with interest.

This year, the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office mailed “notice to file” postcards to notify corporations of their responsibility to file their biennial occupation tax reports. If you did not receive a postcard, you should contact the Secretary of State’s Office at (402) 471-4079 to ensure that the registered agent information on file for your corporation is correct.

The fastest and easiest way to file your report is to do so online at By filing online, you reduce the risk that the report will be returned due to errors, the report will be viewable online within a few hours, and you will receive an immediate electronic receipt. The online function also allows you to update other relevant details through a separate filing.

To complete your biennial occupation tax filing online, you will need the following information:

  • Your Secretary of State Account Number (located in the upper left corner of your notice to file postcard). You can also find your Account Number by using the online Corporate Search.
  • Amount of paid up capital stock (domestic corporations only)
  • Amount of real estate and personal property in Nebraska (foreign corporations only)
  • Street address of corporation’s principal place of business
  • Name and street address of each officer and director
  • Brief description of the corporation’s nature of business

If you would like HBE to assist you with your biennial return, please contact us at (402) 423-4343 or email Rebecca Schultz, Client Accounting Professional.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *