Nebraska Nonprofit Relief Funding Provided by Community CARES Program
June 29, 2020
Governor Pete Ricketts and the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) have announced the Community CARES grant program to help Nebraska’s charitable organizations and care providers respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. The grants are being funded by the federal CARES Act, and are designed to aid Nebraska charitable organizations and licensed providers by providing working capital; provide community programming for COVID-19 response and recovery; and provide key supplies for child care and religious centers.
Of the $1.25 billion in funds that Nebraska received through the federal CARES Act, a total of $85 million will be used to fund the Community CARES grant program as follows. (Please click on the link for each grant for specific information on eligibility requirements.)
- STABILIZATION GRANT
- Purpose: Provides working capital to help cover operating expenses for eligible organizations and providers impacted by COVID-19.
- Award Amount: at least $12,000
- Application Period: June 29-July 6 (application available now)
- RESPONSE & RECOVERY GRANT
- Purpose: Provides resources to eligible organizations and providers to help children, families, and communities respond and recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
- Award Amount: $50,000-$2,000,000
- Application Period: July 1-July 8 (application available July 1)
- HEALTHY PLACES GRANT FOR CHILD CARE PROVIDERS AND CENTERS OF WORSHIP
- Purpose: Ensures access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and disinfection supplies to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Award Amount:
- $250 for child care home
- $500 for child care center
- $500 for places of worship
- Award amounts must explicitly be used for COVID-19 PPE and cleaning supplies.
- Application Period: July 6-July 12 (application available July 6)
- As you can see in the summary above, the application periods for these grants are very short. We encourage eligible organizations and providers who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19 to begin the grant application process as soon as they can.
- An organization may apply for multiple grants if they meet eligibility requirements.
For more information and updates on the Community CARES grant program as provided by DHHS, please visit the COVID-19 Community Cares website.